The Half

Posted on 12:52 PM, under

My birthday started at 6:00 a.m.  Nina dropped me off behind the Carlsbad Inn and I set out for the big one.  The half marathon distance (13.1 miles). I had never run that far before. 10.5 was my longest to date.  Just over 1:45 later Nina picked me up in the same parking lot.  I actually did it. And I did it the way I wanted to.  I always said that as I added length to my runs I wanted to run at a pace I thought was reputable.  I'm pumped to have averaged 7:59/mile for this run. Under 8 minutes!  And don't think this was some easy path.  This was 13 miles on the hilly PCH. If you told me 1 year ago on my last birthday that in a year I would lose 80 lbs. and run 249.98 miles (my total to date) including a 13 miler, I probably would have rolled my eyes and eaten another piece of pizza. This felt so good. And while the motivation of being in shape is a big one, the reason I push so hard is the two girls you see on this website below - Nina and Maddy.  They're the reason I keep going.  Below you can see my Nike+ stats as well as a video of me ending the run. 

                             


edit post

8 Reply to "The Half"

  • We Love to Run! on August 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM

    YEs matt you are freakin amazing that is soooo AWESOME!!

    Jesse

     

    We Love to Run! on August 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM

    happy b-day!!!

     

    firefly on August 3, 2008 at 9:52 PM

    Happy Birthday to you~I am so stoked about this accomplishment and can relate with every mountain. You will remember this run forever. I only wish I was there with the towel at the end. There is nothing like living healthy and the way it makes you feel. I am waiting for the blog on what you was going on in your head for 13.1 miles!! We love you Matt BUNK!! Enjoy the rest of the day and have a large yogurt on us~

     

    Anonymous on August 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM

    Happy Birthday Matt!
    Love from your "Aunt Sue" in beautiful, Sunny, Smoldering Hot, Florida. You would not be running here! By the way, Great Job!!!!

     

    Gabe ♥ Hannah on August 5, 2008 at 1:08 PM

    wow matt!!! first of all... Happy Birthday!!!! sorry i missed out on calling you on the ol' b-day... second of all!!! that is an incredible run! i ran 9 down that shore and it is HILLY esp around the 4 mile mark! way to go... it is such an accomplishment! (esp running at that speed) i'll admit my speed always slows as i log the distance....but that is great that you are doing so great! i'm so proud of your discipline and drive... and nina is amazing for being so supportive of you!! she is a great example to all the future marrieds in the family!!! i'm excited for your next lil cuter to be born too! i love you guys!

    keep it up!

     

    Eva on August 7, 2008 at 3:25 PM

    Look at you sporting a 6 pack tummy. Nice work. You should really start doing Triathlons. Those are REALLY fun.

     

    Anonymous on August 10, 2008 at 7:53 AM

    matt~happy belated birthday to you (didn't have access to a comp. in europe...and congrats on your 1/2 marathon on the bday...what a sense of accomplishment you must feel! keep up the hard work

     

    PJ-IN-MC on December 2, 2008 at 9:20 AM

    Put a shirt on please you make me look bad!!!!!